This chicken soup recipe is hearty can be made quickly and served with a salad and sour dough bread for a complete meal. If you want a vegetarian soup eliminate the chicken and substitute a vegetable broth and add 2 cups more of vegetables such as green beans, peas, and leeks.
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ cup carrots, sliced and then cut in half
- 1 rutabaga, pealed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 red potatoes coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Paravangna Blend
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Heat a large skillet or pot on medium, add the oil and sauté all the vegetable for about 8 min. Set aside.
In a large soup pot (6 quart) bring to boil:
- 6 cups of chicken stock.
2 pounds raw chicken breast (or turkey breast) that has been cut into 1-2 inch cubes (cooked poultry can be used instead of uncooked chicken to save time. Simply decrease the cooking time to 10 minutes.)
Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- ½ cup chopped fresh red pepper
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
Cook about 2 minutes more then add the reserved sauteed vegetables to the pot.
Simmer the soup for another 10 minutes. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste preference.
Serve with crusty sour dough bread and a green salad. Serves approximately 4-6 people.