Savoy cabbage is beautiful and tasty. With it’s dark green, rumpled leaves and mellow flavor it’s easy to like. Cabbage rolls are an ideal food for chilly weather and this is a tradition recipe that uses Savoy cabbage instead of the tradition green cabbage.
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 large head Savoy cabbage
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound spinach, washed, trimmed, steamed and chopped
- 1 extra large egg
- salt & pepper
- 2 teaspoon Fuller’s oregano
- ½ cup rice
Ingredients for sauce:
- 3 cups organic diced italian tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons Fuller’s Paravangna Blend
- fresh Italian (flat) parsley
Directions for sauce:
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, and add the garlic.
- As soon as the garlic begins to sizzle, but before it takes on color, add the tomatoes.
- Turn the heat to high, and as soon as the sauce begins to bubble, turn back down to medium.
- Add the wine, and season with salt and pepper, and the Paravangna blend.
- Cook for another 15 minutes, and then remove from the heat.
Directions for rolls:
- Core the cabbage, leaving the leaves intact.Cook in boiling water to cover for 7 to 8 minutes.Remove from the pot, and let cool.
- Heat the olive oil, and cook the onions until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook a few more minutes.
- In a bowl, add the veal, chopped spinach, onion mixture, egg and rice. Season with the salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Remove the leaves, and trim the ribs from the leaves with a sharp knife.
- Place a mound of the filling (about 3 to 4 tablespoons) on the wide end of each cabbage leaf. Roll up towards the other end firmly, tucking in the sides as you roll.
- Place the rolls side by side in a large oven-proof casserole dish, and continue until you have used up all of the cabbage leaves.
- Pour the sauce over the rolls, cover, and bake at 375 degrees F. for 45 minutes.
- Remove the cover and cook another 15 minutes.
Serve cabbage rolls topped with sauce. Garnish with sprigs of fresh Italian parsley. Makes 4 to 6 servings.