Our beef stew has a hearty, flavorful quality that will become a family favorite. The recipe can also be adapted for the crock pot by adjusting the instructions. You can eliminate browning the beef to cut down on the preparation time, but the flavor will be a little different.
- 2 pounds lean beef cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fat
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoons black pepper or red pepper flake
Heat a large, heavy pan with the oil. Brown the meat over medium high heat turning as needed; sprinkle with sugar and continue to brown. Then sprinkle the meat with flour and continue to brown for another 3 minutes.
- 2 tomatoes, peeled & chopped or one 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder (essential for this stew)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Fuller’s Beaujolais Blend or oregano
- 4 cloves (whole spice cloves)
- 1 raw red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups beef stocks
- 2 cups boiling water
Add tomatoes, red pepper, herbs, bay leaf, cloves, beef stock and boiling water. Cover and simmer over low heat about 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
Add the following vegetables except the peas and stir. Simmer for 30 minutes longer.
- 6 small red potatoes cut in half
- 6 small carrots, sliced 1 inch thick
- 6 small onions or two whole onions quartered & peeled
- 3-4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup of fresh peas (can also use green beans if desired)
Add peas; cook 5 minutes longer. Makes 6 servings. Serve with French bread or home made buttermilk biscuits.